Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Getting ready

So, we're about to set off for rural Pennsylvania in just a few days now. I'm emotional. I've had a few glasses of wine. Kate and Jen convinced me to blog about the experience, and here you have it.

I have so many conflicting thoughts and feelings about what we're about to do. I feel sad that I've disrupted Will's life, but I know he's about to have a great adventure. Will he make friends like Jamal, Adam, and Matthew? Will there be a temporary Marley?

I'm nervous about our return, but I know that we are resourceful, and I know that Brett is one of the hardest working people I've ever met. He takes care of his family. Did I mention that while I was busy making sure I remembered to pack my waxing kit he packed smoke and CO detectors? He knows just what to do to make me feel safe when I feel uneasy. Sometimes it's the little things.

I'm excited to meet new people and learn about a different culture, but I know I'll never make friends like the ones I have here, or love living in any place better. There's a reason why I've chosen to stay where I grew up. There's a reason why I cry when I think of how much I love my family.

I really think the car ride down will be quite awful, and there is no silver lining to that one. I've already plugged our route into http://www.mcdonalds.com/ and highlighted the restaurants with Playplaces along the way.

We've been preparing and packing and procrastinating, and now we need to do it. Jesus Christ, it's only temporary! Who knows? It may even trigger a depression that could segue into some drastic weight loss. I'll try to update the blog as much as possible. If you don't hear from me in a few days, send in the troops. I may have had some Kool-Aid and I don't want this to become a special episode of Dateline NBC.

No comments: